Chicken Run Roof Framing!

Lover duck duck

Songster
6 Years
Apr 10, 2018
So I’m building a 10’x 20’ chicken run with a metal roof. I saw a YouTube video where the guy used 2x4’s as the rafters but face plate down instead of at an angle and his roof came out really nice. Is it ok to do this instead of using the narrow part? I live in Florida and have no snow, so I was wondering if it mattered at all. Will the narrow way help with uplift since we do have hurricanes although by the time it reaches me it is normally a tropical storm or can I get by using face down?

With no snow load worries,,, it would be fine. My suggestion,,, since you are in a wind prone area,,,, USE PLENTY OF SCREWS.... Skip nails, since they do not hold as strong.. Still have a slant to have rain run off.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

With no snow load worries,,, it would be fine. My suggestion,,, since you are in a wind prone area,,,, USE PLENTY OF SCREWS.... Skip nails, since they do not hold as strong.. Still have a slant to have rain run off.

ahh no, nails must be used to "hang"wood. Screws are brittle and can shear easy so use nails to hold wood that is loaded "AKA" hung.
you can screw wood down as what the wood is sitting on carries the load not the "fastener" AKA nail or screw.

Nails hold just fine and if needed, use ring shank nails and or hurricane straps and clips. A 10' span you stand the 2x4 on edge.

Yes I used screws and also adding hurricane ties. Thank you
ahh no, nails must be used to "hang"wood. Screws are brittle and can shear easy so use nails to hold wood that is loaded "AKA" hung.
you can screw wood down as what the wood is sitting on carries the load not the "fastener" AKA nail or screw.

Nails hold just fine and if needed, use ring shank nails and or hurricane straps and clips. A 10' span you stand the 2x4 on edge.
I never ever use nails, I had many problems before using nails. I only use screws. But thank you for your advice.

Screws are brittle and can shear easy so use nails to hold wood that is loaded
Get deck screws and try to break if brittle.
I know drywall screws, which are common and least expensive are brittle.
Extreme service, I use threaded rod, or long bolts. Then nuts . I use appropriate size washer also. I purchase in bulk quantity, and is not very expensive that route. Sure,,,,, if you go to store, and purchase 5 screws on a card display, of course you will pay higher rate.

Get deck screws and try to break if brittle.
I know drywall screws, which are common and least expensive are brittle.
Extreme service, I use threaded rod, or long bolts. Then nuts . I use appropriate size washer also. I purchase in bulk quantity, and is not very expensive that route. Sure,,,,, if you go to store, and purchase 5 screws on a card display, of course you will pay higher rate.
its also not knowing/using proper building techniques . Putting two 2x4s together without using wall plates, corner posts and other construction codes will set up failure, Not the nails you use. Again, screws hold down and can sheer if used to "hang" load bearing timber. I'm not pulling this out of my hat. But chicken coops are not major structures for the most part. Do as you must, my 50 years of building and marine construction have seen it all.

You don't have to hang rafters tho.

This pen is 100% held together with deck screws. Lots of them.

1702174273742.jpeg

1702174223429.jpeg

Attachments

• 1702174161509.jpeg
    1702174161509.jpeg
    581 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom