Chicken run roof slant versus flat roof.

Here is a drawing I made. I want all the corner posts to be 4x4 and the rest of the wood to be 2x4’s.

Attachments

• FE7FC9FF-73E2-415E-8125-3A34EB5C3612.jpeg
    FE7FC9FF-73E2-415E-8125-3A34EB5C3612.jpeg
    733.4 KB · Views: 4
You'll be good with 2x4 16" on center
I did some more drawing and it works out to exactly 15” inch. Do the roof supports need to be laid on top of the two main posts or can I drill them in between? Because I will be using wire instead of roofing at first so I need the wire to be laying flat and flat so I can put a tarp over it.

We usually get about 2 to 4 inches per storm.

I did some more drawing and it works out to exactly 15” inch. Do the roof supports need to be laid on top of the two main posts or can I drill them in between? Because I will be using wire instead of roofing at first so I need the wire to be laying flat and flat so I can put a tarp over it.
If your eventually going to put plywood on to make it covered, stick with 16" on center. The seams will line up with the rafters. They won't if you do 15 OC.

If I'm understanding, you can put the beams on top of that. That's what I did in that first pic I posted earlier. I just laid the beams across, screwed them down, and put the roof panels over that. Not exactly best practice, but that coop was super sturdy.

My current run's roof is welded wire with a tarp over it (my run is 250sq ft). It's supported in the center by vertical 4x4s. It's held up fine for the past 4 years, and we get feet of snow every year. We sweep it off after heavier snows, though.

Back
Top Bottom