Chicken Run Sand

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

I'm not a fan of using sand in any environment where it doesn't already compose the vast amount of the soil, like in FL. In other climates, it is difficult to sift completely clean and when it gets wet, it will stink to high heaven.
I prefer using dry organic material and letting the poop cold compost in it instead.
Thank you! I am temporarily putting my chickens on my paved back patio with a tarot for the bottom then the concrete sand. I have them now in a 10x26 ft run. Only issue is that it keeps getting flooded everytime it rains. I have the run completely covered all around and on the top but my backyard just has the water set there.

Thank you!! Others use finer sand? I always heard fine sand is bad for chickens because if they digest it, their crop can become impacted 🤷‍♀️
1706055398814.png

1706055452447.png

More like this from what I gather. Yours seems to have much bigger and oddly shaped pieces?

I have gone to 3 different places and it’s so hard to find the right kind of construction / concrete sand. Do you have any recommendations?
If that's all you can find in your local area I would give it a try and see how well it works. Many people use "play sand" for children's sandboxes, or "river sand"... Monitor your chicken's feet and see if it's causing any discomfort. If you see any particularly large and sharp rocks I would try and pick them out though.
Were you more trying to use the sand for drainage?

Thank you!! Others use finer sand? I always heard fine sand is bad for chickens because if they digest it, their crop can become impacted 🤷‍♀️
Welcome to BYC. Yes that is true. Construction sand is best if you are using it. I occasionally add some to my runs to fill in holes from my excavators/hens.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

I'm not a fan of using sand in any environment where it doesn't already compose the vast amount of the soil, like in FL. In other climates, it is difficult to sift completely clean and when it gets wet, it will stink to high heaven.
I prefer using dry organic material and letting the poop cold compost in it instead.
Welcome. I agree with @DobieLover

Back
Top Bottom