Chicken run size???

nautical_bouy

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Beaver PA
I was wondering what size run I should have for 2 to 3 dozen birds? I am half way thru a 40x30 pen built with 6' chain link fence.Is that high enough for clipped wing chickens? Also is that enough square footage or if to much how many will that hold? I also plan to rotate them in and out of a tractor.
Whats the opinion on using a 2' high band of chicken wire attached to the fence charger for a predatot deturrent on the out side of the run?
I'm looking for added security when I'm at work and can't get to the old 10 Ga. and OO buckshot.
Coyotes and coons are a problem here, we can't kill them fast enough.

yes you have enough run space for 30 or 40 birds.your run will really be big enough for 120 hens.yes 6ft tall fence is tall enough for clipped wings.if a hen flys out.she will fly back in.

Yes, if that is the size of the run, your hens will have plenty of room. We use 10 square feet per chicken in a run.
If you have 36 chickens, they will have 33.333333... square feet per chicken! They will love the extra space, and it will leave you room to expand your flock..hint..hint!!!

As far as 6 ft. tall fencing, they can fly out of it. Mine always seem to figure out how to get out, but not back in. If you are going with heavy breed layers, once they get grown, they don't fly as much, at least mine don't. It is too much trouble to get their big butts off the ground!!!
If you can, it would be better if you could put netting over your run. You can put tall posts in the ground with some sort of padding on the top of them, to lift the netting high enough for you to walk around, and for them to fly a little if they want to.
The padding is for the netting, wind and friction against the post will wear it out, so if you pad it, it will last a lot longer.

Jean

Thanks for the info folks,,, I have 100's of feet of chainlink and will just cover the top, I don't have to worry about walking in there, thats the kids job,,lol

Back
Top Bottom