Chicken Run Size?

aPeekaWink

Hatching
Mar 6, 2015
Kansas
Hello I'm new to the forum. I'm looking to acquire some chicks this coming Spring (I already know how to raise chicks I incubated them for a school project and raised them for 8 weeks so I believe I have that part down). I haven't decided what chicks I'm wanting this time around but that's besides the point. Anyway I'd like some opinions or insight on a chicken run. I'm looking to get 6-8 chickens and was wondering if a chicken run 20ft. long by 10ft. wide and 7ft. tall (7ft. is a must my partner is 6'4 haha) would be adequate enough? I can not free range the chickens because I have a few close neighbors with dogs I don't trust and a dog of my own that I'm not sure of. So any insight fellow chicken lovers? Will the run be large enough? If not what would you recommend? Thank you in advance for those that respond.

Last edited:
A run that size would work out great. The general rule of thumb is that each chicken should have at least 10 square feet of outside run space. Your run in theory could hold up to 20 chickens.
smile.png

It is recommended that each chicken has at least 4 square feet of room, but as Wyandottes7 said, 10 feet is even better. It will help reduce bullying and the size of your run will help accommodate for chicken math. So yes, that coop should be great. :)

Thank you for the fast response. So in theory, later on if I wanted to I could add a few more chickens and still be okay as long as there's no bullying within the first group?

Welcome! The best size is the biggest that you can build, given your space available, and the cost of materials to make it predator proof. Nobody regrets making the coop or run too big, or too safe. Mary

Thank you for the fast response. So in theory, later on if I wanted to I could add a few more chickens and still be okay as long as there's no bullying within the first group?
As long as the bullying is kept under control and each chicken has adequate roaming room, then yes. I'll give a very helpful tip, though- buy only a few chicks to start off with. Many chicken keepers develop the need for more and more chickens because they're so fun and addicting!

It is recommended that each chicken has at least 4 square feet of room, but as Wyandottes7 said, 10 feet is even better. It will help reduce bullying and the size of your run will help accommodate for chicken math. So yes, that coop should be great. :)
the 4 square feet recommendation is for inside the coop, outside in the run the recommendation is 10 square feet. OP is looking at 200 square feet, plenty of space for 6-8 chickens, and yes, room for chicken math!

That depends on how much space your coop has...4sq ft per bird minimum for coop space.

Back
Top Bottom