Chicken Run

txkittykat

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2015
Arlington, TX
Currently designing a chicken run with a coop inside of it for a maximum of 4 hens. If the run is large enough, approximately 6'×12' or as small as 4'×8', is it cruel or neglectful to only occasionally let the hens roam the backyard (often times our gate is open and we wouldn't want an escape).

Last edited:
Those four chickens will be alive only because of you. If you provide basic food, water, predator protection, and appropriate environmental protection they will be much better off than the vast majority of commercial chickens. They will have more room than that provided by many people on this forum that live in suburbia. As long as you provide the basics you are not being cruel or neglectful if they never leave that large an area.

I agree with Ridgerunner. I think they will do just fine. Your gardens will thank you for not letting them have the whole yard.
big_smile.png

Even a 4x8 space is still 32 square feet, so for 4 chickens that means 8 square feet per chicken! That's not bad at all! Your chickens will be very happy in a run like that, and letting them out in the whole backyard would be an extra special treat, but not at all necessary if you have a nice run. :) If you went with 6x12, that run would be PLENTY big enough for them all the time.

Thank you for asking that question!! I am going to have chickens in our backyard in (an old neighborhood) suburbia... Letting them out for a roam around the yard is going to be once in a blue moon. I was feeling bad about this on some level, but ridgerunner is right- they will have everything they need and be in a much happier place than the commercial chicken farms. I'm also being careful to balance heat tolerance (it gets very muggy and hot here in coastal SC) with ability to stand confinement well when I select a breed. Most Mediterranean breeds seem to flighty and active for our situation :-/

Thank you for asking that question!! I am going to have chickens in our backyard in (an old neighborhood) suburbia... Letting them out for a roam around the yard is going to be once in a blue moon. I was feeling bad about this on some level, but ridgerunner is right- they will have everything they need and be in a much happier place than the commercial chicken farms. I'm also being careful to balance heat tolerance (it gets very muggy and hot here in coastal SC) with ability to stand confinement well when I select a breed. Most Mediterranean breeds seem to flighty and active for our situation :-/

Have you considered Black Australorp?

Yes! That is my #1
1f60d.png

I can only have about 8 hens so 5-6 are going to be for production and 2-3 for production/interest (they are going to be pretty lol)

Back
Top Bottom