Chicken Run

JoeFarmer24

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2023
Hi I Built a Chicken Run out of Pressure treated wood and now I am reading that it is not very good for the chickens to be around our chickens are about 14 weeks old they don’t peck at the wood at all the Run isAdjacent to a chicken coop I had built. Just wondering if anyone has built a chicken Run out of pressure treated wood and had any problems with it and there Chickens?? Thank you any fees bad would be appreciated!!!

Attachments

• 4821CA76-8F81-4D1B-998F-00F65F65EF1A.jpeg
    4821CA76-8F81-4D1B-998F-00F65F65EF1A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 3769579E-9516-4AFC-AE48-4937F0C05992.jpeg
    3769579E-9516-4AFC-AE48-4937F0C05992.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
I Built a Chicken Run out of Pressure treated wood and now I am reading that it is not very good for the chickens to be around
Don't know where you read this but it's not true.

Todays pressure treated wood is much safer than that of decades ago when cyanide derivatives were used to treat wood. Today's PT wood more often uses copper quaternary salts.

My flock has been exposed to PT wood in their run for nearly 6 years and no one has ever been sick from being around it.

Last edited:
Tha
Don't know where you read this but it's not true.

Todays pressure treated wood is much safer than that of decades ago when cyanide derivatives were used to treat wood. Today's PT wood more often uses copper quaternary salts.

My flock has been exposed to PT wood in their run for nearly 6 years and no one has ever been sick from being around it.
nk you so much for info

Hi I Built a Chicken Run out of Pressure treated wood and now I am reading that it is not very good for the chickens to be around our chickens are about 14 weeks old they don’t peck at the wood at all the Run isAdjacent to a chicken coop I had built. Just wondering if anyone has built a chicken Run out of pressure treated wood and had any problems with it and there Chickens?? Thank you any fees bad would be appreciated!!!
So... as an environmental advocate I would never use pressure treated wood for anything whatsoever unless its required by building codes. What most don't realize it that it has odor, (scientific name is VOC's) and fowl is super sensitive to odor. They may not peck at the wood (which would be disastrous) but they are breathing in those fumes. Those fumes are toxic to chickens. There are better alternatives. For example, there is a waterproofer that is 100% nontoxic and permanent called Internal Wood Stabilizer by Timber Pro Coatings. It is clear, colorless, and zero VOC...no smell. EAsy to use, just spray it on, its very watery. It reacts with the alkalinity in the wood and forms glass crystals which harden and fill the pores making it impervious to water penetration. The wood lasts much longer than pressure treated wood, my pressure treated garden bed border rotted into sawdust in 11 years .
IWS cover photo.png

Back
Top Bottom