Chicken saddle - how long?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ebonykawai, Oct 8, 2008.

1. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

How long do you leave a saddle on a hen? Does it stay on for days or do you take it off at night or...?

How, please? Thanks!

2. ebonykawai

Please, does anyone know how long it's OK to leave them on for? Do you have to check the hen/her feathers/skin often? Any chance of allergic reaction or irritation under the saddle?

3. tabbie

tabbie New Egg

Oct 9, 2008
    renton, wa
    Great question that I'd love an answer to too-so, here's a bump.

4. ebonykawai

Hard to believe no one knows the answer to this. Doesn't anyone use saddles??

[​IMG]

5. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Sorry...I don't. Hope someone else can answer...

6. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I wouldn't take it off at night. They have to get use to it. Leave it on till you see that their feathers are growing back in. If the roosters continue to mate and pull their feathers out, you have to decide on what you want...naked chickens or less/no roosters.

7. highmountainchick

highmountainchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2008
    Hope this helps..If I remember correctly, I read an article in the BYC bi-monthly magazine several months ago that a lady used her husbands very expensive duct tape to make a saddle for her hens. I beleive that she left the tape saddle on until it actually ( or mostly) fell off teh hens. By then the new feathers were growing in and the area of skin was healed. I was actually thinking about doing the same as I have a few hens that are scratched up quite a bit. I would use a gaffers duct tape or a black duct tape first. Weird but I sounds like it would work.

[​IMG]

8. ebonykawai

Hmmmm. Interesting! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by