Chicken Saddles

Ma

Songster
12 Years
Aug 10, 2007
Camanche, Iowa
Has anyone ever ordered saddles from mbldesigns in Arizona?

Or is anyone on BYC currently selling saddles?

Thanks in advance everybody, my girls are in urgent need of some protection.
roll.png

Ma

I used duck tape and everyone laughed at me but it worked and Andrew left her alone and looked for another girl to love, the tape is comming off by itself and the feathers are coming back in. looks funny but sure worked for me. Had read it on some thread on this forum, and had to try something, Josephine was really looking bare, but the dust baths are helping to remove the tape and she looks good.
smile.png

Owned by 13 RIR,1 pitt bull,1 poodle mix,1 yorkie,1 great dane, and 1 crabby gray cat.

My pattern *Gasp*! :mad: Kidding
big_smile.png
- I'm glad it's being used. I just had to made two more for my younger girls.
roll.png

Yeah, my polar fleece one works with no elastic or seams, just make sure you measure accurately so it fits snuggly without being tight- not as complicated as it sounds. Put the measuring tape on the hen's back between her wings and measure to the base of the tail than subtract about an inch.

Fold your fabric in half and trace an oval wide enought to cover her flanks and cut out the wing and tail holes. It's such a simple pattern it's easy to mess around with until you get it the way you want it. Good Luck!
big_smile.png

I may have to make one... or 5 or 6... my boy has his favorite girls, and there's no mistaking which ones they are! I have LOTs of polar fleece... guess what I'm doing this weekend! Maybe it will keep them warm, too.
wink.png

How about a bonnet, my girls are losing their head feathers! I know it's because that is how the roo is holding on to them!I have made saddles and at least here at BYC you don't get yelled at for asking about the saddles, I got reemed out on another site abount bad flock practices! We had just started out ended up with 4 roos and 2 hens so I kept the hens and 1 roo. We wanted to expaned, but hey either way, if I got more pullets or hatched chicks it takes time for the pullets to be intergrated into the flock or the babies to grow up! So I had to do something!!! yikes I was just trying to help the poor girl out!! Mine came out good but instead of going under the wings the went under the legs I guess I made the loops to big, but they worked none the less! Sorta like crochless(SP?) under wear!
100_5908.jpg

I made mine out of old jeans!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom