Chicken-safe method for getting rid of moles

wholehearted

Songster
9 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Ohio
We just bought a new house last year. This spring, we are finding that there is a huge mole problem here. We now have a new batch of chicks, so I'm wondering if there is any hope of getting rid of the moles in a way that is not harmful to chicks/chickens that will be ranging the yard soon.

Full grown chickens will probably take care of your mole problem all by themselves
wink.png

Mine eat them, unless they are too big to swallow. I know that's gross. I've taken them from the chickens when I see them, but who knows what they do when I'm at work! I found a large dead one in their coop over the weekend, I assume he was too big to swallow.

I did not know that moles came out of the ground enough for chickens to get them? Usually, the new mole holes appear at night when the chickens would be locked in the coop, so I was assuming that might make it hard for the chickens to get them.

I have seen one hole inside their coop area. I think that's where the big one came in because it was a big hole! I do have hardware cloth along the edges but he just came up at the wrong place! I found one of my chickens running around with one in their run area, which has a few holes in it.

Back
Top Bottom