Chicken sales up this year???????????

KYBOY

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Eastern,Kentucky
I havent seen so many folks looking for chickens in forever...
hmm.png
I sold off some of my old flock the other day a my chickens Ive raised since Feb should start laying in a month or so..Sold hens for $5 each and you would have thought I was giving them away :| chicks have been selling like candy out of the farms store..I havent seen this kind of demand in a long time.....

I've heard that some hatcheries are having trouble keeping up with the demand this year...maybe people are trying to be a bit more self sufficient.

Quote:
Yup. That is why we are getting chicks.
I have seen an increase in people buying started veggie and spice plants. Again, us included. My mother is also beginning a veggie garden. She had large garden in the 1970s.
We also bought a clothes line and indoor clothes rack for drying. The man at Home Depot told my mom the outdoor clothes lines are FLYING out of the store. People are getting it.. just a little too late

There was an article in our local paper about the local greenhouse. They cant keep seeds and plants in stock. The owner said he has never seen anything like it. Also said he's getting many people coming in with questions about planting gardens who have never done so before.

Quote:
You're right. The backyard chicken movement is a movement of international proportions. It's an amazing thing to hear about all the cities and municipalities across the U.S., Canada, Europe and Australia that are overturning outdated zoning laws to allow for urban BYC.

I too have heard and found out the hatcheries are totally on back order... some till July and August... I know I couldn't wait that long.
barnie.gif
Our feed stores couldn't keep the chicks in stock here either.

I put 5 boxed gardens in this spring. And I do have room for more! Also an outdoor clothes line... now if it ever would get sunny! :thun

I think it's absolutely time for us to get the message....

Our local feed store had the same report. He's never sold so many chicks. He usually sells chicks for about 2 months in the spring. This year he sold for 4 months and had people asking if he had any more orders coming in.
It's really a fun thing to do especially is you have kids to involve in it.

There are many more people trying to be more self sufficient. I am one of them. With an unsure economy, high gas prices and the general cost of living going up I want to be able to feed my family during the lean times. There are many rumors out there that there will be a total economic collapse, I don't think it will be that bad, but just in case. I have a 25x50 garden for the first time this year, and plan on putting a large portion of it away. I also bought chickens for eggs and meat.

I want to live in Northern California, but with the economy the way it is .......

Yep I'm going to plant more gardens,

I feel lucky that I live in a great neighborhood. We would always help each other out.

This will be my first yr. with chickens. I chose to forego the chick stage and went for the point of lay hens or laying. I felt like I could not feed them thru the winter and break even. I will want to be able to provide my kitchen with fresh/healthy eggs and be more self sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom