Chicken scared to go into the coop

That's about all you can do.....keep putting it in the coop at night until it 'gets it'.
Some are slower than others to catch on, but with birds that young the pecking order can be more fluid (change more often) that with older birds.

So, how many bird are left?
Have you determined genders yet?
Are they using the roosts? You may want to start 'training' them to do that too.

So, I have an update, although this is late, it is exciting.

The chicken has 'gotten it'. Over the last two nights this chicken has gone in on its own. Every single night I went out placed the chicken in front of ramp, and would wait. Sometimes for a couple of minutes. And then it would wonder up the ramp and in. Took a long time for it to get it, but I think we may have arrived.

Couple of other things. We noticed that in general this chicken is 'slower' than the rest. When we open the run and let the chickens out into the yard it is the last one out, usually by a couple of minutes, because it can't find the door. When the other cockerels do their stare down thing it just runs. It isn't the bottom of the pecking order, but it doesn't seem to really be a tough cockerel.

I am currently down to 17 chickens. I have added more roosting bars, which all the chickens are using now. In fact they have one bar that is their favorite and there are 12 that get on this one 4 foot bar, leaving another 12 feet of bar untouched. But oh well.

Anyways, shows that something like this really should just be keep working at it.

Great update...glad things are working better.
An update is never too late, always will help others coming across this thread....and it can take time to solve a chicken issue, as you've learned.

They do cram themselves on less roost than recommended to sleep...BUT...they may use all that roost to get shuffled out and settled.
....and they may spread out more when it's warmer....tho my birds were crammed together and panting after a hot day yesterday...SMH.

Back
Top Bottom