chicken scratch

5th lake chick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
Northern Wisconsin
I am just starting to feed my chickens scratch, since it has turned cold and ground is freezing limiting free range forage. From the name it sounds like it should just be thrown on the ground , plus I think it would give the chickens something to do when confined to their pen. or should i provide it in a feeder.

Don't put it in a feeder. Only offer sparingly.

They are better off with you tossing them lettuce to be honest :) Get some of the 50% lettuce at the grocery store if you can't get any locally.

x2 a corn based scratch is mostly fat with not a lot of nutritional value. It's not bad if used sparingly as a treat but think of it as french fries - not a good diet. If you use it just a little and sprinkled on the ground so the portion is limited. They do love it and if given a lot, will eat it over their feed which is not what you want.

x2 a corn based scratch is mostly fat with not a lot of nutritional value. It's not bad if used sparingly as a treat but think of it as french fries - not a good diet. If you use it just a little and sprinkled on the ground so the portion is limited. They do love it and if given a lot, will eat it over their feed which is not what you want.
:)

BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) is better than corn, and they do love it!

Right now I use a 3 grain scratch. Corn, barley and oats I believe. It seems to have less corn than the other two grains. The chickens love it. I toss it out every morning - but only one scoop for 150 birds.

I bought a scratch grain last night and it only has TWO grains it it.. Corn and some other little seedy looking thing.. Was kind of dissappointed
So true. Scratch grains can be soooo disappointing. Even with the same company. Sometimes it is cracked/mixed nicely and filled with 5 or 6 great grains, and other times, you open the bag to see little besides corn and even the corn is awful.
I've felt buying scratch to most often be my most wasted purchase.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
So true. Scratch grains can be soooo disappointing. Even with the same company. Sometimes it is cracked/mixed nicely and filled with 5 or 6 great grains, and other times, you open the bag to see little besides corn and even the corn is awful.
I've felt buying scratch to most often be my most wasted purchase.
barnie.gif

I looked online and it seems that the Purina Scratch Grains have more grain in them. I got some "off" brand and it was sad....very sad..... Next time I will find a store with the Purina brand!

I am just starting to feed my chickens scratch, since it has turned cold and ground is freezing limiting free range forage. From the name it sounds like it should just be thrown on the ground , plus I think it would give the chickens something to do when confined to their pen. or should i provide it in a feeder.
Just toss it on the ground, and feed no more than 10 to 20 percent of there total feed intake if there being fed a feed over 18% protein.

Chris

I looked online and it seems that the Purina Scratch Grains have more grain in them. I got some "off" brand and it was sad....very sad..... Next time I will find a store with the Purina brand!
If you want a good scratch grain look for a all grain pigeon feed. The all grain pigeon grain will have a minimum of 5 good grains and can up to or more than 10 good grains.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom