chicken scratch

hide.gif

I just buy the cheap wild bird seed at the grocery store and give them a couple of handfulls when I visit every evening.....

I make my own scratch for my chickens. I just give them a little containers worth every few days and this gives them something to do through out the day. I fill my run with leaves so they have to keep digging through the leaves to find the scratch.

I like to buy bulk seeds from my local Mill.
50# BOSS
50# Millet
50# Cracked Corn
50# flax seed (don't mix a lot in the scratch, I use about #25 in my scratch)

You will find buying bulk seeds from the a Mill will be A TON cheaper then buying a bag of pre-made scratch. For all these I spent less then $100 with the flax costing the most.
Next time I'm at the feed store I'm gonna pick up some other grains to throw in there as well.

:oops:
I just buy the cheap wild bird seed at the grocery store and give them a couple of handfulls when I visit every evening.....
Wild birdseed is expensive compared to scratch grain. You can get scratch grain (4 or 5 grains) for $13 here for 50 pounds. Wild bird seed is probably more than triple that cost.

Though my chicks LOVE millet. I haven't bought wild bird feed since I expanded to so many :p

thanks for all the replies and discussion, I really learn alot- better then trial and error. My birds thank all of you! The only layer feed I could find only had 16% protein. do I need to supplement? I do give veggie/fruit scraps from the house.

Back
Top Bottom