chicken setting turkey eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HillCountryMomma, May 8, 2008.

1. HillCountryMomma

HillCountryMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Just a couple kinda off the wall questions (or maybe not! Anyone else have turkey eggs under a chicken [​IMG]?

I have a Jersey Black Giant hen that is INSISTING on going broody. I took eggs away from her, I kept picking her up and putting her out of the shop where my hens lay. I finally gave up and she has been sitting on NOTHING for a couple days. A neighbor of mine brought me 8 fertile Rio Grande wild turkey eggs tonight to put under her (she raises the turkeys) just for fun. I give up! I don't need more chickens right now (I'm kinda over run at the moment), but the turkeys will be different so what the heck.

Will my hen be ok sitting the 29 days for turkey babies to hatch vs. the 21 days for chicks? Will she stick it out for the whole time? I have a Barred Rock hen that is broody in the same basic area and I've been putting feed out right next to her to make sure she eats. Will do the same for the Jersey.

Any other tips?

Thanks!
    Liz

2. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I have done it, and am doing it now! I've even had a little banty hen set on some! Right now I have a big cochin hen on 6 turkey eggs. They will stay put if they are really broody. The hens are great mothers and will show the poults everything, just like a chick.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by