1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Shaking it's head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shuggiesmom, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Shuggiesmom

Shuggiesmom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2008
    Franklin, Tennessee
    My Black Sex Link hen, who does not lay but is our entertainer is shaking her head quite often.....what is this a sign of and what is a good remedy if there is one.

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I have no clue , I am just trying to pumb your post up

3. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Sometimes my girls will do that when they're tired.

4. Shanay235

Shanay235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    I don't know if chickens do this to but my ducks tend to shake their heads when they have something caught in their throats. [​IMG]

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    It may just be how she is, but just in case there are a few things to check.

1. Check her nose holes(nares) to make sure they are not plugged or for any discharge.

2. Holding her head and neck at straight as possible, Open her mouth and look down her throat. Be sure to look at the top of her trachea(tube opening behind the tongue) for anything out of the ordinary that could a blockage.

3. Check her ears. Lift the small feathers that cover the ear holes and look in. Check for swelling, reddening, or infection discharge.

Matt

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    oh and

4. Open the mouth and check the roof of her mouth. The slit in the top/back should be clear of blockage and mucus.

Matt

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

and check her crop.

Is there any possibility she has had anything long and stringy that might not pass from crop into the rest of her digestive system?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by