chicken shells

smarquis86

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Yakima, WA
so i was told that i can dry egg shells and crush them up to give back to the chickens. they said to put them in the oven. for how long and what temp is my question? or what do you do.

I read somewhere on here they put their egg shells in the microwave for 30 seconds. feed it free choice if you have a rooster, they don't need as much calcium as it can damage their kidneys and liver - hope that helps
smile.png

Yes you can and it does help, just dry them in the oven at 250 for about 30 min, feed back free choice or as a scratch. works wonders and should be done periodicaly.

You have to put it in a hanging rabbit feeder or a heavy bowl that they can't tip over, Small dog bowls with sloped sides on the outside work well as they can't tip or spill them.

Last edited:
I save all my egg shells and then put them in a microwave for 2 minutes. I then put them in a small coffee grinder and it makes them into a powder that I mix with their feed or put in their yogurt and fruit as a treat. They never leave anything over and I think it is good for their egg production.

Back
Top Bottom