Chicken Shelter?

CPT

Songster
Sep 19, 2017
Star, Idaho
Hi all:

We are thinking about putting together a chicken shelter of some sort, so that our flock has a place to run to when it's pouring rain, etc. Not a coop, but more like a shelter. Plus, during thes summer, here's not enough shade around their area to run, as it gets hot here.

Any ideas /pics would be great!

According to how your coop is built, you could add a tarp fly. Add grommets all around the tarp, attach one side to the coop, the other to either the fencing or two poles. Put a pole in the middle so it sheds water instead of having a suspended pool.
In the summer, I use a cheap sheet from the dollar store. If it's absolutely pouring, it does leak, but then it doesn't hold water or hot air in either.

How big is your flock?
How much do you want to spend?
How handy are you?

There are so many options!
From a large carport big enough for them all......to pallets on concrete blocks.

Not very handy.....10 chickens total. I'm using found materials around our farm, mostly, but we would like to make it look a little better.

Did you ever come up with something? I am interested in doing the same thing. My birds won’t go outside when there is snow on the ground, and need a shade area for summer. I have so many ideas in my head, but would love to hear from people what they’ve tried, how they could improve, or what they’d do differently. Building a roof for the thing will be my big challenge. I am looking into using rolled roofing over plywood to make it easier and not require much slope.

Back
Top Bottom