chicken show needs list?/transporting my chickens to show..

trailgurl

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 11, 2010
the "e" planet
I was wondering what I'd need to transport my chicken to a show. Would a regular pet carrier work, or would I need to get something else?

Also, I'm trying to compile a list of basic needs for showing chickens. I need as much info as possible, as I'm trying to get a list together to show a 4-H club that wants to get some show chickens:) If you know of anything to add, just post what it is and why we would need it. thanks so much!

Oh! I will hook you up with my list!

This is what my grooming box contains:

• Supplies for show
o Microfiber Cloth
o Baby Oil Gel
o Feather Shine like Showsheen
o Finger nail Clippers
o Baby Wipes
o Neosporin

And i just use pet carriers

I would add vet rx to the list it makes the combs and wattles shine
also find out if feeders and waterers are provided. if you are showing silkies take your own pop bottle wateres so they don't get the beards wet. take a watering can with a lons spout to fill your water cups. If you don't have a standard of perfection get one !! I transport in pet carriers, avoid wire crates they damage feathers. take a camera and have fun
big_smile.png

I use cat carriers and those cardboard bird shippers I had from years ago.

I bring a couple wash cloths, olive oil for the comb, zip ties, q-tips, water from home, vitamins to put in water, feed from home, note pad, pens, business cards, nail clippers. I show silkies, so I bring one of those wire dog brushes and a flea comb. Also some baby wipes.

I also bring extra shavings to put in the show coops.

Last edited:
Renie'sPeeps :

I am soo glad someone started this thead.. I have been thinking about showing my Orps and need help too.

With our orps we put baby powder on their but fuff after we bathe them and they dry, also bring a hair brush to fluff their but fluff at the show. Also, make sure your pen/run is covered so the buff color won't fade.​

I see more and more people use carriers that are Sterlite/Rubbermaid Totes with airholes cut out all around at the shows.

Don't forget a toothbrush and some poultry protector to keep the bugs away. Scrub some on their legs and feet before putting them in during "coop in".

Back
Top Bottom