Chicken shows

Chicken_girl17

Songster
Mar 28, 2020
Oregon
Hi i’ve been curious as I’ve been doing some basic training with one of my birds for show how does a show typically go about in the world is it like a dog show that they show on TV when you bring up your dog to the judge and the judge judges it or does the judge come up to the chickens cage and possibly if anybody Knows do you know how the level of competition or any information I should know about the Oregon state fair shows

They are judged out of the cage by the assigned judge. Exhibitors are not allowed in the isle during judging so as not to impede the judge and clerk in the execution of their duties. Birds are grouped by Class, i.e: Mediterranean, Asiatic, English, etc... then by breed then by variety (color) and then by sex classification: cock, hen, cockerel, pullet. Generally, they are judged 1st through 5th place in sex classification, then best variety is chosen and then best of breed is selected from the best of varieties within a breed, then the class champions are chosen and from the class champions your champion large fowl, bantam, duck, goose, turkey, etc are chosen and finally show champion and reserve.
Remember show etiquette do not enter an isle where a judge is working, do not speak to the judge during judging, do not handle birds or eggs other than your own and be friendly and get to know other exhibitors.
Remember to use proper nomenclature when addressing yours or others birds, and know breeds and varieties. At shows serious breeders do not refer to birds and roos and girls they are cocks, hens, cockerels and pullets.

Best wishes in your showing endeavors.

Bo

They are judged out of the cage by the assigned judge. Exhibitors are not allowed in the isle during judging so as not to impede the judge and clerk in the execution of their duties. Birds are grouped by Class, i.e: Mediterranean, Asiatic, English, etc... then by breed then by variety (color) and then by sex classification: cock, hen, cockerel, pullet. Generally, they are judged 1st through 5th place in sex classification, then best variety is chosen and then best of breed is selected from the best of varieties within a breed, then the class champions are chosen and from the class champions your champion large fowl, bantam, duck, goose, turkey, etc are chosen and finally show champion and reserve.
Remember show etiquette do not enter an isle where a judge is working, do not speak to the judge during judging, do not handle birds or eggs other than your own and be friendly and get to know other exhibitors.
Remember to use proper nomenclature when addressing yours or others birds, and know breeds and varieties. At shows serious breeders do not refer to birds and roos and girls they are cocks, hens, cockerels and pullets.

Best wishes in your showing endeavors.

Bo

thank you this is going to help a lot

Back
Top Bottom