Chicken sick. Mellow and walking oddly

Alexsquared

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2021
Hello all. One of our chickens has been acting odd for the last couple days. She, and our entire flock, are about 6 months old. She has been much more mellow then normal. She isn't scampering off when approached and when we pick her up and set her down, she tends to just lay down. Additionally, she is doing a really odd walk. It is like she is raising her feet much higher then normal, and her feet are spread out when she steps up, where the others tend to curl their feet as they walk and then spread out again just before setting them down. We saw her poop yesterday too, and we didn't see any worms or anything, but it was definitely more runny then normal.

Any thoughts? We chatted with one of our friends with chickens, and the only input we got is that she is likely about to die.

Still not sure what is going on with our girl, but we have her isolated and she is going on a week and seems a little better.

Still not sure what is going on with our girl, but we have her isolated and she is going on a week and seems a little better.
Hi Alex, I have just run into the same scenario with one of my girls, approx the same age. One thing I've noticed is that one eye seems to be non-reactive to light or my fingers waving around on that side.
Did your girl recover?

Back
Top Bottom