Chicken SIckness Mystery

phrank

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
I have ( had ) 6 chickens ( 1 barred rock, 2 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Araucana)
All are hens and about 5 years old ( The barred rock is 1 years older than the rest)
They are semi free range, depending on time of the year .
When not free range, they have a large indoor enclosure ( about 100 square feet) with a heat lamp and a connected outdoor run, which is also about 100 Square feet),

There diet is Egg Layers chicken pellets , along with kitchen scraps. and whatever is in the yard when they roam around.

Up until a few weeks ago, they all looked healthy, and they all get along ( no obvious fighting).

I check on them at least every other day, and usually every day.

So, one day, I went to check on them and there was a dead chicken laying on the floor , just under its perch ( which is about 3 feet off the ground). It was one of the Rhode Island reds. When I had seen it / them two days before, all looked healthy. This chicken did not look malnourished, no external injuries, good weight, no signs of illness previously. It almost looked as if she died on the perch, then fell off it. Her body was directly under the perch, and laying in a way that looked like she had fallen off.

I can't imagine that she fell and the fall killed her.

Anyway, I buried the body, and checked the others, which looked fine .

2 days later I go back, and I see another chicken on the floor in the corner. One of the Araucana's. She was still alive, and standing but in a strange way. The only way I can explain it, is that she looks " Condensed". Her neck is not extended like the other chickens, it is kinda pulled in ( looks like she has no neck, as if her head is attached directly to he body). Her tail is tucked in and under. It is not extended upward, like the other chickens typically are. Also, its almost as if she cant support her weight. Her legs are collapsed , almost as if she is sitting on her feet. It looks almost like when the penguins have their litle baby on their feet . And she doesnt walk, she waddles ( like a penguin). She can not get up on the perch, so she sleeps in a corner near the heat lamp. She stays in the inside enclosure, doesnt attempt to go outside , even if I Open the door to allow them to free range the yard. She does have an appetite and drinks water too.

I figured she would die within a day or two like the other. I also figured whatever she has, is probably what the other one died of.

After a few days, I noticed she wasnt getting better but not worse either. I went to the local farm store ( where I got them from), and loaded up on a few chicken vitamin and suppliment items. After about 2 weeks, she started to improve. And now 3 weeks, her neck is extended , tail turned up, able to walk well and support her weight, appetite still good, and she does come put of the inside enclosure. She still cant make it onto the perch, but is about %90 better ( at least visually anyway)

Also , she hasnt laid an egg this whole time ( which doesnt surprise me, but just more info for you guys to know). And, the other chickens look fine, no changes during this whole process.

So, my question is, does this sound familiar to any of you ? if so, any clue what it is ???

Thanks ,

Phrank

I can't help you out, but definitely pm Eggcessive. They have ALWAYS helped me when I had a health issue.

I'm really sorry for your loss!
1f625.png

It's hard to know what the first chicken died from without getting a necropsy done by your state vet. The second chicken sounds like she possibly may be an internal layer or have egg yolk peritonitis. Internal laying is common in older hens who are bread for high egg production. Sometimes antibiotics such as amoxicillin, Baytril, or penicillin may help extend their lives, and if they suffer from fluid in the abdomen, draining the fluid occasionally may make them more comfortable. Unfortunately there may come a time to put them down when they are uncomfortable. Here is some info about internal laying and EYP:
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom