Chicken sits with butt up. Looking for answers...

Desi0599

Hatching
Jun 16, 2017
IMG_4086.JPG
IMG_4089.JPG
goodmorning! Two nights ago I found one of my chickens sick. She has been a little lazier in the past week. She was all wet (due to rain) because she did not move to not be under the water. She has been sitting and standing with her butt up and the feather around her tail are puffed. When she sits down she does so very slowly. She has appetite and poops normally. I can't figure out what's wrong with her. I have been keeping her separating making sure she eats and drink. Please help me

IMG_4090.JPG
Sometimes she even sits crooked with her legs on the side like so. When I picked her up two nights ago I also noticed that the other chickens were picking on her

Sounds like she's the bottom of the pecking order. I had a hen who did the same thing, made me nervous but after a while sage stopped. Why she's doing it I can't say for sure maybe the other chickens won't let her on the house or she's getting picked on so bad she doesn't want to be in the house.

Thank you for your answer, sonyou think she is just being pecked on? She looks sick to me...
could it be that the didn't let her eat for too long?

Hi @Desi0599 :frow Welcome To BYC

Is she laying any eggs?

It's possible that she may have been kept from food/water and is dehydrated. Offer her some poultry vitamins in her water and give her some extra protein like egg or tuna to see if that gives her a boost.

How old is she?
Have you added any new chickens in the last 30days?

Can she move her feet and legs, as well as both wings? What does she do if you stand her up? How old is she, and has she been laying eggs recently? Make sure that she is drinking fluids with electrolytes, and offer her some chopped egg or moisten chicken feed. Hopefully, she is just dehydrated or weak as the others have suggested. If she is of laying age, check her for egg binding with a finger inserted an inch or two into the vent.

Hi @Desi0599 :frow Welcome To BYC

Is she laying any eggs?

It's possible that she may have been kept from food/water and is dehydrated. Offer her some poultry vitamins in her water and give her some extra protein like egg or tuna to see if that gives her a boost.

How old is she?
Have you added any new chickens in the last 30days?
Thank you for your time. She usually lays eggs, I have watched her for these past two days but she did not lay any eggs. I have been feeding her eggs and other foods every 2/3 hours. She is doing the same. She is around 4 year old. I haven't added any chickens.

Can she move her feet and legs, as well as both wings? What does she do if you stand her up? How old is she, and has she been laying eggs recently? Make sure that she is drinking fluids with electrolytes, and offer her some chopped egg or moisten chicken feed. Hopefully, she is just dehydrated or weak as the others have suggested. If she is of laying age, check her for egg binding with a finger inserted an inch or two into the vent.
Thank you for answering to this thread.
She can stand, walk, her wings move fine. I stayed with her outside today in the grass for a bit and I made her walk around. Only if I "pushed" her she walks, but when she does she walks perfectly fine, she is just lethargic. When she stands up she usually stands still in one spot with her back feathers up. Her wings start going down slowly and she pulls them up when they touch the floor. I have been closely watching her/ making sure that she eats and drinks, she has appetite! I did check for hard bumps but she definately doesn't have an egg "stuck". Her poops are fine with no egg residues. I have no idea how to help her :(
Today I left her out in a separated coop because I had to run some errands for 2 hours and unfortunately it started raining. She did not go in the closed part of the coop and I found her all wet. I hurried and dried her with a blow drier. She had plenty of spots to stay out of the rain... she was down with her head under the steps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom