chicken sitter

jc mac

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2015
I will be going away on business for a few days and I found a woman who will watch my two hens at her place. What is the going rate I should pay her?

Does she do this as a business? If so ask what her rates are. I have a woman who comes in and takes care of my animals when I go away. (More than 2 birds.) She charges $ 35/day for one visit and $ 50/day for two visits.

no she does not do this as a business, she works at a local feed store and has a few of her own hens, which she will keep seperate from my hens i'm not sure what the going rate is.

I think since they are going to be at her house, and probably not a ton of extra work, $15-20 a day would be generous.

no she does not do this as a business, she works at a local feed store and has a few of her own hens, which she will keep seperate from my hens i'm not sure what the going rate is.
Are neither of you concerned with biosecurity?

The price of anything is what the buyer and seller agree too.
Has she cited a payment price....have you asked?

Are you supplying the feed?
Never heard of anyone boarding chickens.......doubt there's a 'going rate'.

Oh boy, I would personally find someone that DOESNT have chickens too... Or make ABSOLUTELY SURE that her chickens are healthy, or you may come home to no chickens at all, or chickens that are sick. :(

I run a closed farm, which means NOTHING comes on this property without 100% quarantine for at least 2 weeks first. The rate of infections being passed in chickens is horrifying, so do take precautions to ensure the health of your girls.

I agree, keeping them seperate is all well and fine but unless she is washing her hands and changing boots between flocks they might as well be in the same run. If she isn't concerned enough about quarantine to take your birds in the first place then I doubt she is concerned enough to do that.

Back
Top Bottom