chicken sitting weird is she sick?

AceSierra

Songster
Jun 2, 2020
My 2 yr old austrolorp ace has been having weird diahrea for awhile now 2 weeks ago I took her to the vet and found out she had cecal poops so the vet prescribed dewormer I dewormed her but her poop was still diahrea. thought maybe it was a bacterial thing so I gave her some amoxicillin but still she had diahrea. maybe it was the feed or the diametrious earth in her food so I changed it up and still diahrea. then just today I noticed shes sitting like this is this a sick chicken pose. I've heard that when hcikens are sick they'll sit weird. Shes eating and drinking and acting normal. digging around and foraging. I sprayed her with some feather mite treatment like some spray a couple days ago but it said it was safe for birds. Shes comes inside at night to sleep in the bed and wears a diaper and I watch her when shes outside. I think I might have found some undigested earthworms in her poop which is weird since they should have gotten digested. I'm ordering some flubenvet to try and see if itll help at all. shes also still laying eggs layed one just today.

Attachments

• 20200616_225658.jpg
    20200616_225658.jpg
    555.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200616_225622.jpg
    20200616_225622.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 3
My 2 yr old austrolorp ace has been having weird diahrea for awhile now 2 weeks ago I took her to the vet and found out she had cecal poops so the vet prescribed dewormer I dewormed her but her poop was still diahrea. thought maybe it was a bacterial thing so I gave her some amoxicillin but still she had diahrea. maybe it was the feed or the diametrious earth in her food so I changed it up and still diahrea. then just today I noticed shes sitting like this is this a sick chicken pose. I've heard that when hcikens are sick they'll sit weird. Shes eating and drinking and acting normal. digging around and foraging. I sprayed her with some feather mite treatment like some spray a couple days ago but it said it was safe for birds. Shes comes inside at night to sleep in the bed and wears a diaper and I watch her when shes outside. I think I might have found some undigested earthworms in her poop which is weird since they should have gotten digested. I'm ordering some flubenvet to try and see if itll help at all. shes also still laying eggs layed one just today.
Where are you located in the world?
Can you please post some photos of her poop?

What do you feed?

Do you mean the vet found Cecal Worms or was it Cecal Poop? What did dewormer did you use?

In the photo with her wings spread out like that she looks hot. How warm is it?
Do you have a coop outside? Other chickens?

What do you feed?

Do you mean the vet found Cecal Worms or was it Cecal Poop? What did dewormer did you use?

I'm in carrollton ga it doesnt get too hot here and she doesnt go outside when it's over 90 or 85 depends on how the day feels I feed a mix of humor non gmo layer pellets and mana pro supplements for laying hens. shes inside in that image and wasnt hot but just incase she was I turned the ac up. I used to have another austrolorp but she passed and now I have a 9 day old baby silkie who has weird foamy poop idk if that's related tho. she does have a coop outside.

What do you feed?

the dewormer was something for dogs I think that was sized down to chicken and yes ceacal worms I also havent put and de in her food she has normal poops and diahrea mainly liquidy diahrea tho

the dewormer was something for dogs I think that was sized down to chicken and yes ceacal worms I also havent put and de in her food she has normal poops and diahrea mainly liquidy diahrea tho
If you can get some photos of the poop and answer the rest of the questions posted previously that may help.

If the vet gave you a dewormer, then likely that took care of the Cecal worms. She looks hot to me.

Chickens have 2 types of poop. "Normal" and Cecal Poop. Normal is a formed type of poop with a white cap, Cecal poop is a loose stool that can vary in color from light brown to very dark, it's sticky and stinky.

Watery poop can be from drinking a lot like when chickens are hot or it could be from something else.

I would not add DE to feed, it has no benefit.

If you can get some photos of the poop and answer the rest of the questions posted previously that may help.

If the vet gave you a dewormer, then likely that took care of the Cecal worms. She looks hot to me.

Chickens have 2 types of poop. "Normal" and Cecal Poop. Normal is a formed type of poop with a white cap, Cecal poop is a loose stool that can vary in color from light brown to very dark, it's sticky and stinky.

Watery poop can be from drinking a lot like when chickens are hot or it could be from something else.

I would not add DE to feed, it has no benefit.
yeag I haven't seen any benefit of de probably only causes problems it's not ceacal poop it's very watery and grey looking poop she barely stays outside long maybe 4 to 5 hours supervised and not when its hot she does still have ceacal poops I posted dome photos if you scroll up

yeag I haven't seen any benefit of de probably only causes problems it's not ceacal poop it's very watery and grey looking poop she barely stays outside long maybe 4 to 5 hours supervised and not when its hot she does still have ceacal poops I posted dome photos if you scroll up
I see photos of her, but not the poop :)

i had some chickens when they get too hot they do their wings that way . i had to mist with cool water to help them and also i have put a wet cool towel wrapped over them for a few make sure to mist under the wings too it helped my chickens that was last year and it was hot too.you do need to deworm them as the vet advised . remember chickens do not like water dont scare them hope this helps you.

I see photos of her, but not the poop :)
I'll send some more she had drank milk in the last one that's why it is so white and that was may 5th her poop also has a very fowl smell different from normal. sometimes it smells gross like a worm and others it smells like a wound would It was very mucusy before the wormer now it's just very watery and less mucus I think

Attachments

• 20200613_222605.jpg
    20200613_222605.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200603_175522.jpg
    20200603_175522.jpg
    875.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200603_104233.jpg
    20200603_104233.jpg
    830.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200602_220331.jpg
    20200602_220331.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 1
i had some chickens when they get too hot they do their wings that way . i had to mist with cool water to help them and also i have put a wet cool towel wrapped over them for a few make sure to mist under the wings too it helped my chickens that was last year and it was hot too.you do need to deworm them as the vet advised . remember chickens do not like water dont scare them hope this helps you.
I bathe her once a year for mites and fleas and suck and to get any sticky grime thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom