1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken sitting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sylvanchickens, Aug 18, 2016.

1. sylvanchickens

sylvanchickens New Egg

Jul 16, 2015
    I have a NH red that will not roost with my three Rhode Island reds. She will sit on the eggs all day unless I come and move her off the eggs. I am afraid something is wrong with her. Is this normal? She is one year older than the other three. I'm afraid she is t eating and drinking the properly. Please help with advice!

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi! It sounds like she is broody. When hens are broody, they are trying to hatch out eggs. However, if there is no rooster in the flock and you don't intend to buy baby chicks or fertilized eggs, people usually discourage hens from being broody because they stop laying while they try to hatch the eggs and they can be more aggressive. Here is a great thread about broody hens that may help. Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by