Chicken sleeping in nesting box

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
About a week after she first started she started laying she started sleeping in the nesting box. Last week she would go back and forth from sleeping on the persh to sleeping in the nesting box. But today is the 3rd day in a row that she sleeps in the nesting box. I mean i imagine the nesting box being far more comfortable since it’s fluffy but i don’t know if it’s normal. Other than that she’s a been acting fine. This is about her 2nd week of laying. I thought that it could be because shes cold but 30’s Can’t be that cold plus her coop is insulated.
F266B4CA-31F0-42B7-965C-5508039C54E4.jpeg

3C51DD45-207E-41BC-9AF9-636D7D828475.jpeg

the blue box is where her nesting box is and the red like is a stick so she can fly up to her perch (picture above this one)

Block off the nest box before sunset with a piece of cardboard/plywood. Unblock it again once it's fully dark, and that should get her to use the roost. Do it for a week or two, then you try leaving it uncovered to see if she sticks with the roost, if you don't want to have to keep covering/uncovering.

I have a hen who sleeps in the nest box sometimes. She doesn't poop in it, so I leave her be.

Block off the nest box before sunset with a piece of cardboard/plywood. Unblock it again once it's fully dark, and that should get her to use the roost. Do it for a week or two, then you try leaving it uncovered to see if she sticks with the roost, if you don't want to have to keep covering/uncovering.
I am going to try this method after raising a rooster bar higher than current nesting boxes at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom