Chicken sleeps alone

MissGreenJeans

Songster
Oct 17, 2020
Asheville, NC
Hi, chicken peeps! I’ve recently moved my girls to a new coop and run. There are seven of them, and they’re 19 weeks old. They have a coop with an attached run. Inside the coop, they have roosting bars about 50 cm above the ground (2x4 boards with the wide side up for perching). Six of the chickens use them to sleep each night. Number seven, who’s the smallest chicken, has decided not to roost with the others. Instead, she sleeps alone in a nesting box. (Oddly, when the other chickens aren’t around, I’ve seen her up on those roosting bars.) I also noticed that she chose to spend time alone during the day in the coop today, while the others were hanging out in the run. Though she seems kind of subdued, she isn’t lethargic, and she doesn’t appear to be injured or sick. She’s eating and drinking. I’ve seen her “chickening” around—scratching and exploring some. But she’s a bit of a loner, especially at night. Is this normal? I haven’t seen the others picking on her…but maybe she’s not comfortable around them? That seems strange. They all grew up together, and I didn’t notice this kind of behavior before. Should I be worried?

Here are the others. Looks cozy. Sad for loner chicken. :(

Attachments

• A2F0EB08-668F-4A7A-AF02-7B912BEEB5ED.jpeg
    A2F0EB08-668F-4A7A-AF02-7B912BEEB5ED.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 47
Will do—and thank you, aart! Appreciate the advice.
I don't think so.
There's is plenty of roost length for 7 birds.
Give her time.

Best to break this habit, go in after dark and put her on the roost.
Or close off the nests around roosting time.
Hey—you don’t think the parallel bars are a problem, do you? I’ve seen most at different heights, but the girls seem to like to roost on both and snuggle together (as in the picture).

Hey—you don’t think the parallel bars are a problem, do you? I’ve seen most at different heights, but the girls seem to like to roost on both and snuggle together (as in the picture).
They are pretty close together, best if they are about 18" apart(too far for pecking reach),
and I think you really only need one(it's 8' long?) for 7 birds.

Back
Top Bottom