Chicken slowly gasping

Sportsman94

Chirping
Mar 24, 2021
Central Georgia
My mom sent me a video today of her Rhode Island Red that appears to be slowly gasping. She said she’s been laying in the same spot since about 8:30 this morning doing this and was very lethargic yesterday as well. She said she’s been drinking water, but just not acting right. She has had two chickens die that had similar symptoms. I have the video and can send it to anyone if they would like to see. I’m not sure how to go about uploading a video to the site

My mom sent me a video today of her Rhode Island Red that appears to be slowly gasping. She said she’s been laying in the same spot since about 8:30 this morning doing this and was very lethargic yesterday as well. She said she’s been drinking water, but just not acting right. She has had two chickens die that had similar symptoms. I have the video and can send it to anyone if they would like to see. I’m not sure how to go about uploading a video to the site
You'll need to upload the video to YouTube or another hosting platform, then provide the link here.

Is your mom in central Georgia too? What's the temperature, and do her birds have access to water and shade?

She is also in central Georgia. It’s been hot this week. My wife told me the temperature was supposed to be 103 or something along those lines today. They have an elevated coop in a shady spot. They have shade most of the day and access to shade the other times.

I suspect they're reacting to the heat, and heat can kill them.

Do they have cool, clean water to drink? Is it possible to get them in some cool air for an hour or two? We bring heat-distressed birds into the house for a few hours if necessary. Another option is putting a box fan on an extension cord in the run.

Some cool water with electrolytes mixed in that water will give them some needed nutrients to combat the heat...

She is also in central Georgia. It’s been hot this week. My wife told me the temperature was supposed to be 103 or something along those lines today. They have an elevated coop in a shady spot. They have shade most of the day and access to shade the other times.
Can you upload the video to youtube and provide a link?

How old is the hen?
When was her last egg?

I would check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight, feel the abdomen for bloat or fluid.
Could be heat stress, but sometimes with laying hen they can also be having reproductive problems that cause similar symptoms.

Can you upload the video to youtube and provide a link?

How old is the hen?
When was her last egg?

I would check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight, feel the abdomen for bloat or fluid.
Could be heat stress, but sometimes with laying hen they can also be having reproductive problems that cause similar symptoms.

she ended up dying yesterday afternoon. Mom read that some of the symptoms were similar to being egg bound. She was due to start laying any day, but she hadn’t started yet to the best of my knowledge.

She has had two chickens die that had similar symptoms.
Sorry to hear that she died, but she's now lost 3 birds, right? Please try to get the video uploaded so the folks here can assist you so you don't lose more birds.
If they were so young that they were just about to lay, I don't think being egg-bound is the culprit. I suspect that heat is your issue...
What say you Wyorp Rock?

Last edited:
she ended up dying yesterday afternoon. Mom read that some of the symptoms were similar to being egg bound. She was due to start laying any day, but she hadn’t started yet to the best of my knowledge.
I'm sorry that she died.

Can you provide some photos of the set-up and pullets?
What does their poop look like and what is being fed?
How long have they been in their current set-up?

Without necropsy, it's hard to know what's going on with the birds.
If you still have the body, you can send it to your GA State Lab or if you are up to it, do your own informal one to see if you may find something obvious.

Heat stress is a good possibility. Chickens need deep shade in temps that you have in your area. If they don't have natural shade from trees, then use shade cloths to help with that issue.

5D4010BA-6FFE-4A43-8FD6-0815B6668B53.jpeg

here’s the setup during construction. The ramp is less steep now than in the pics, but the coop/run orients East to west. They get morning sun, but are shaded by trees or the coop for the rest of the day. They are being fed organic layer pellets. They have been in this coop since April. Two of the chickens have been laying for a month or so. I’m not sure what the poop looks like, but I didn’t get told anything was abnormal. I do have the chicken in the freezer and will likely do some exploring whenever it cools down later in the year. All the birds, in my limited experience, look extremely healthy. I don’t have any pictures of the one that died

You may want to consider a shade tarp/cloth to block more sun.
I use them. I think I found them on Amazon. I'm home most of the time so can raise/lower shades as needed. I let in early morning sun, but by 10am, even in the NC Mountains, it's hot and humid. The tarp/cloth helps reduce the temp and the birds really seem to like it.
I have single penned birds too, so it's a must that I have shade cloths for them. If I know I'm going to be gone, I just put up the shade when I open everything up early.

What type of water station? Could the birds be running out of water? I've found deep rubber bowls work best for me. Some of those gravity stations seem to not dispense water too well - tried those, didn't suit me LOL

You being in GA, you may need to add more ventilation to the coop as well. Is the only ventilation at the top?

Hopefully you will be able to tell something from a frozen bird. Freezing can discolor organs and tissue.

Back
Top Bottom