Chicken Sneezing and runny nose, but still laying. Are the eggs safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AtHomeOnThRange, Nov 29, 2014.

1. AtHomeOnThRange

AtHomeOnThRange Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    West Tennessee
    I have a White Plymouth Rock Hen that is about 8 mos old. Recently, I replaced my roosters with Rhode Island Red pullets. After that, the Plymouth developed what sounds like a very bad cold. At first, she was wheezing quite a bit, but now her breathing passages seem to have cleared and she just sneezes every once in a while. The little ones are sneezing too, but haven't been as sick as the Plymouth. I suspect they brought this whatever it is with them.

Anyway, she had stopped laying, but now that symptoms are decreasing, she's starting laying once every two days. The eggs are slightly smaller than what is usual for her, but not terribly so. The shells are also lighter in color than is usual for her also.

Should I dispose of the eggs until her runny nose and sneeze completely clears up?

Oh, and I treated them all with ACV in the water, and sprayed down the coop with an antibacterial/antiviral mixture I made with therapeutic grade essential oils, based on information from www.essentialbird.com. I also fed them yogurt laced with thyme. (and I'll be doing that again today).

Their coop is built up off the ground and the floor is basically a giant sand box.
    [​IMG]

I've started using the spray as I scoop the coop each morning, to minimize the amount of dust I stir up. I also spray the roost bar, nest box and walls, so the essential oils can be released into the air and in turn, be inhaled by the birds.

I'm not too concerned about the illness, it seems to be running its course, and she's eating and drinking and active, but I'm just not sure if I should be eating the eggs.

So, what do ya'll think?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I don't think humans are susceptible to the respiratory infections that chickens get, except some reported cases of avian flu.

The eggs should be ok, just make sure to cook them….and as usual, was your hands after handling the birds or eggs.

Regarding the infection, I would post this also under emergencies to get more opinions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by