Chicken Socks...?

MixFlocksRule13

Chirping
Mar 28, 2020
Hey yall, me again.

So, my California White hen is missing part of her toe, and it's getting sort of cold, so she doesn't walk on it and has the most noticeable limp ever. So how can I fix this?

Do they make chicken socks or something?

Hey yall, me again.

So, my California White hen is missing part of her toe, and it's getting sort of cold, so she doesn't walk on it and has the most noticeable limp ever. So how can I fix this?

Can you post a picture of the toe?

Hey yall, me again.

Do you think she isn't walking on it because it is getting cold? What has your climate been like? Listing your general location (change it in your settings) can help folks in situations like this. Has the limp always been present? It is normal for chickens in the winter to raise one foot into their feathers to warm the foot, but they often alternate feet. If the limp is new, have you inspected the bottom of her feet or legs for injuries? As casportpony says, too, any way we could see pictures?

Last edited:
Do you think she isn't walking on it because it is getting cold? What has your climate been like? Listing your general location (change it in your settings) can help folks in situations like this. Has the limp always been present? It is normal for chickens in the winter to raise one foot into their feathers to warm the foot, but they often alternate feet. If the limp is new, have you inspected the bottom of her feet or legs for injuries? As casportpony says, too, any way we could see pictures?
I will get a picture ASAP, but I have none right now. I don't actually live with my chickens, they are about 1/4-1/2 mile away. We are in Southwestern Montana, and she is limping because of the cold. I have had a vet look at her and everything, I just need to know how to keep it warm.

You could try wrapping her foot and toes with vet wrap. It will stay on just like a little sock. But I would only do that it it isn't going to get wet and freeze unless you want to take it off and replace it every time it gets wet.

You could try wrapping her foot and toes with vet wrap. It will stay on just like a little sock. But I would only do that it it isn't going to get wet and freeze unless you want to take it off and replace it every time it gets wet.
I don't actually live where she does, we have them at a separate property. I couldn't monitor it all the time. Is there any waterproof vet wrap?

Back
Top Bottom