Chicken spitting up mucus?

Winderdear

Crowing
Jun 16, 2023
My 10 month old pullet, who otherwise seems energetic and healthy, just spit up a bunch of clear mucus. I don’t believe she ate anything strange. Can someone let me know what some potential causes might be? Is there anything I should do?

Editting to add, she has always had an issue with diarrhea. Some of her poops are almost completely liquid. This has been the case for 8-9 months or more, I can’t quite remember when it started.

Last edited:
I’ve seen the same, very disconcerting but normal.
However if it’s not hot where you are I would mention it on your post and perhaps someone can advise,
🤞
It isn’t currently hot here, but she has always been an excessive water drinker, whether it’s hot or cold. I’ve noticed this since she was a day old chick. I almost feel like it’s just a weird behavioral tick of hers. This is the first time I’ve witnessed her spitting up, but she really seems otherwise fine. She has lots of energy for foraging, laid an egg an hour after and is eating normally. It scared me when it happened though, and I’ll be keeping an eye on her.

Thank you all for your help! We recently lost a pullet of the same age to heart problems, and I’m terrified of losing my other girls.

It isn’t currently hot here, but she has always been an excessive water drinker, whether it’s hot or cold. I’ve noticed this since she was a day old chick. I almost feel like it’s just a weird behavioral tick of hers. This is the first time I’ve witnessed her spitting up, but she really seems otherwise fine. She has lots of energy for foraging, laid an egg an hour after and is eating normally. It scared me when it happened though, and I’ll be keeping an eye on her.

Thank you all for your help! We recently lost a pullet of the same age to heart problems, and I’m terrified of losing my other girls.
I understand totally, losing one does make you more aware and concerned of everything they do. Sorry to hear of your loss though,
Big hugz

My 10 month old pullet, who otherwise seems energetic and healthy, just spit up a bunch of clear mucus. I don’t believe she ate anything strange. Can someone let me know what some potential causes might be? Is there anything I should do?

Editting to add, she has always had an issue with diarrhea. Some of her poops are almost completely liquid. This has been the case for 8-9 months or more, I can’t quite remember when it started.
It's possible she might have a yeast infection. Look inside her mouth for any white splotches, especially the roof of her mouth as far back as you can see and going down the esophagus. Hopefully there arnt any.

Keep an eye on her crop, to make sure that it empties by the next morning. Feel of it before she eats or drinks. Crop problems may cause increased drinking.

It's possible she might have a yeast infection. Look inside her mouth for any white splotches, especially the roof of her mouth as far back as you can see and going down the esophagus. Hopefully there arnt any.
Thank you for your advice! I just gave them all their breakfast, so I’ll check her mouth in a little while and let you know.

Keep an eye on her crop, to make sure that it empties by the next morning. Feel of it before she eats or drinks. Crop problems may cause increased drinking.
Thank you! I checked her crop yesterday and it felt normal, not impacted or squishy. I checked again this morning before she ate anything and it was empty :)

Back
Top Bottom