Chicken standing alone

Taylermartin

Chirping
Sep 25, 2021
My alpha of my girls is suddenly always standing alone. All are going through a molt. I think she started doing it since the molt. She will show awareness when I walk up to her and then join the rest of the group. But I have been seeing her more alone lately and has puffed up her feathers, to keep warm?

It sounds like she's just molting. I've had hens stand off alone just like that while molting. ;)

What it is, is the growing pin feathers hurt a lot. Other hens accidentally pressing up against those growing feather hurt. So, the hen will stand off alone to avoid the pain. The puffing up helps the other feathers that's already there not hurt the new feathers as bad. Make sense? :p

What it is, is the growing pin feathers hurt a lot. Other hens accidentally pressing up against those growing feather hurt. So, the hen will stand off alone to avoid the pain. The puffing up helps the other feathers that's already there not hurt the new feathers as bad. Make sense?
Thank you, that explains what I've been seeing one of my hens do. She's the last one to molt and I see her standing on the stump, ignoring everyone.

Back
Top Bottom