Chicken standing still!

macdowall

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
I have an eight month old Barred Rock. She was fine yesterday but this morning she is standing still and won't eat. She has tried to go to the bathroom twice in the last 30 minutes and all that comes out is a little bit of white liquid. She does have a small hard crop. What to do?

She may be eggbound. Try soaking her in a container of warm water up to her sides and gently massage her underside for 20 minutes. Then put a little olive oil inside her vent to make it easier for her to lay the egg, if that's what it is. Continue soaking as necessary.

Would she be making egg laying noises? She is perfectly silent. She has made a nest in the box I put her and she's just sitting there silently.

OK, I rubbed her butt with olive oil and massaged it. She layed out a wrinkled dried skin of an egg and pooped right after that. Now what??

It's possible there might be whites or yolk inside her. If this is the case, it might cause a bacterial infection. I recommend a vinegar/water flush to prevent bacterial infection.
Use a large syringe without needle, mixing 1 tablespoon of WHITE vinegar to 1 quart of water. Use a full syringe of the mixture and insert it in to her vent and gently flush. Use about 3-4 syringefuls, the liquid may or may not flow out of her vent afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom