Chicken staying in nest box, no egg...

cep55

Songster
10 Years
Feb 3, 2014
Hi everyone,

I'd love to get your thoughts on my Ayam Cemani, Wednesday's behavior... for context, she's about a year old, always been very healthy, and has been laying about an egg a day since September (before that it was less frequent. now she's outlaying all my 'laying' breeds, like my Ameraucanas who've been on hiatus since early September!).

Yesterday, I noticed Wednesday was staying in the nest box just about all day. She had not laid an egg. This morning, she was still in there, still no egg, but with some liquid under her (not blood, seems like it was basically clear and relatively odorless. First time I've seen that). I brought her into the house to keep an eye on her, and she ate enthusiastically, and drank water and had a healthy-looking poop. Seems to be moving fine, eyes are clear and alert, and she's acting normal other than the staying in the nest box thing.

After a while, I put her back out into the run, and again she was eating and acting normal. Now she's back in the nest box (which could be her normal laying routine, but I'm keeping an eye on how long she stays in there).

She could just be broody, but she never has been before—and I'm also a little worried that she hasn't laid an egg amid this behavior, as she usually does lay one just about every day. I guess I just want to be proactive in case there's anything wrong/anything I could be doing for her.

Any advice on what to watch out for, or anything I should be doing? I really appreciate any thoughts—Wednesday is one of my favorite chickens; she gets along well with everyone else, is sweet and cuddly with me, and a beautiful bird besides!
IMG_9296 2.JPG

Last edited:
Any advice on what to watch out for, or anything I should be doing?
Maybe broody.. There's always a first time for any lady that gets that way, and a year is a good age. The behavior can come on in stages (if you want and allow it to persist. I would prefer the eggs.. so break her now and plan for NEXT, as it always repeats in MY experience). It may still take a week or so before returning to lay.. both broody and laying are hormonal states that take some time to adjust fully.

Things to watch out for that might indicate something other than broody would be not eating or not pooping.. those might indicate egg binding or crop concerns.

The liquid in the nest may have been a soft or broken egg that perhaps was consumed. A hiccup.

Things that might start up.. a sort of clucking, or staying still when suddenly removed from the nest and placed on the ground.. like taking time to snap out of the trance.. before quickly doing food, sometimes a dirt bath, etc before quickly returning to the nest.

Please note.. IF in THAT mode, they will brood air.. eggs not required.

Last edited:
Maybe broody.. There's always a first time for any lady that gets that way, and a year is a good age. The behavior can come on is stages (if you want and allow it to persist. I would prefer the eggs.. so break her now and plan for NEXT, as it always repeats in MY experience). It may still take a week or so before returning to lay.. both broody and laying are hormonal states that take some time to adjust fully.

Things to watch out for that might indicate something other than broody would be not eating or not pooping.. those might indicate egg binding or crop concerns.

The liquid in the nest may have been a soft or broken egg that perhaps was consumed. A hiccup.

Things that might start up.. a sort of clucking, or staying still when suddenly removed from the nest and placed on the ground.. like taking time to snap out of the trance.. before quickly doing food, sometimes a dirt bath, etc before quickly returning to the nest.

Please note.. IF in THAT mode, they will brood air.. eggs not required.
Thank you, that's very helpful!

When they are broody, they will usually start pulling out their chest feathers (broody patch) to sit on eggs. For now, I would offer her a human calcium citrate tablet with vitamin D in case she is having reproductive troubles, or laying internally.

I had an Orlaff stay on the nest for the better part of a month and a half. Sometimes she'd have all the eggs laid that day under her, sometimes not BUT she had her favorite box. Initially disturbing her would get you a screech but not much and after a bit she just look at you while you took eggs from her. She'd pop off the perch once in a while when we were there and run out and do the broody daily routine and then come on back to the box. IF we had left eggs under her, she probably would have done all the rest of the makin chickens routine But it was at the end of the season and we want to do that NEXT spring where we hope to have another broody so we can choose eggs and mark them. Chickens are great egg thiefs, they'll go to a box with an egg in it, tuck it under their wing and take it back to their nest. WHEN taking eggs from a broody, make sure and check under the arms before picking her up OR you'll get to watch one fall, possibly landing on and taking out more in the nest. (and they were 2 weeks in, sigh). Just a heads up. Eventually they give up OR hatch chicks. Plan it right and you can visit your local farm store and bring home some surprise extras. Turns out, they can't count that great. Take advantage to increase your stock with "presumably KNOWN" pullets.

Back
Top Bottom