chicken staying in nestbox

carmen chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 3, 2011
my red star has been sitting in the nest box for about 2 hours, there is only 1 egg under her so i was wondering could she be broody or does it take this long for a hen to lay an egg.

as far as I know red stars (red sex-links Golden Comets they are all the same breed some people cal them different names) do not go broody that has been bred out of them that are breed to lay eggs and only lay eggs not to sit on eggs...sound like she might be sleeping in there or is having a hard time laying an egg...just leave her there for now....if she is still in there in a few more hours move her out of the nest...just make sure while she is in there that she is not over heating if she is put very cold or frozen is better water bottler wither under her or beside of her...if she is a laying hen she will come out when she is done but if she is a pullet that is not laying (too young to lay) she might be sleeping in there and that would not be good as she will form a habit of sleeping in them and laying some where else.

Although sex links, leghorns, and many production breeds as a whole do not go broody, there are many individuals that will go broody. Some do retain the broody characteristic.

oh ok...thanks that is good to know
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom