Chicken stopped laying, now suspicious eggs

amigander

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2022
My ISA Brown (about 18 mos. old) is a ridiculously regular layer. She hardly ever misses a day. A few weeks ago, she didn't lay for about a week. This was very strange for her. She wasn't acting broody (never has) and she seemed normal in every other way. It was suddenly very hot here during that time period so I thought she was maybe reacting to the heat. Then, one day, there was something strange in the nesting box. I don't know if it could have been a lash egg. I just read about that afterwards. But, it was hard and elongated, almost like poo, but not so dark colored and larger (Should have taken a picture!). I can't guarantee it was from the ISA Brown, but I wondered, given the fact that she hadn't been laying, if it was some kind of blockage or something. Anyway, she started laying again, but I wondered if anything could be wrong with her eggs and if I should consider them safe to eat. Tonight, I cracked a few open and found some strange things. Some had little brown specks in them (blood?). The white seemed to be separated into two different consistencies. Most concerning was this strange thing floating in the white of one egg. See picture for reference. I'd love any advice anyone has to offer!

Attachments

• IMG-0623.JPG
    IMG-0623.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-0624.JPG
    IMG-0624.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-0622.JPG
    IMG-0622.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 10
I did not. It was quite hard and I had no idea about lash eggs when I found it. I’m still not sure if that’s what it was.
Is the white floating thing a meat spot, too?

Are they safe to eat? If it keeps happening, what would that indicate?
If it was a lash egg, would it be unsafe to eat eggs now?

Are they safe to eat? If it keeps happening, what would that indicate?
If it was a lash egg, would it be unsafe to eat eggs now?

Any egg that looks normal should be safe to eat. So not the lash egg, but yes the current egg.

The little blood spots are safe and fairly common. You can eat them, or you can pick them out and eat the rest of the egg, depending on whether the sight will bother the person who eats the egg. They will be obvious if you cook the egg sunny side up, but not if you scramble it with bits of bacon or use it in chocolate cupcakes :)

Back
Top Bottom