Chicken Stumbling and sitting down alot

anniemac2

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 15, 2013
I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my chicken. She is eating and drinking fine, but when she tries to walk she stumbles and falls then just sits down. She's about 18 wks old and I don't know what to do!

Mareks disease and botulism would be two things that might cause neurological problems. Put her in a cage for now so you can watch her. Note how her poops look--if there is diarrhea or blood in her poop. Watch if she is eating or drinking. Have you had any coccidiosis in the flock? Could she have gotten into any spoiled or molded food, maggots, or rotting animal carcasses? Here is some info: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/90/mareks-disease and http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism

She is eating and drinking fine, her poop looks normal. No coccidiosis in flock but started them on sulmet this morning just in case. I'm going to try and treat for botulism with Epsom salt and see what happens. Thank you for your help!

One of our Light Brahmas is having the same problem right now. Took her to the chicken vet and he said she had swollen joints and that it was a sign of infection. He gave us antibiotic pills to pop down her beak for a week, but they don't always respond to it :( She's been taking them for four days and doesn't seem any better, and I looked at her feet this morning and saw that her joints were visibly pink. The vet thought we'd have to put her down if she didn't respond to the antibiotics, but I'm going to give it the full run of the antibiotics and then ask him about whether the long-release antibiotic shots would be better first.

One of our Light Brahmas is having the same problem right now. Took her to the chicken vet and he said she had swollen joints and that it was a sign of infection. He gave us antibiotic pills to pop down her beak for a week, but they don't always respond to it :( She's been taking them for four days and doesn't seem any better, and I looked at her feet this morning and saw that her joints were visibly pink. The vet thought we'd have to put her down if she didn't respond to the antibiotics, but I'm going to give it the full run of the antibiotics and then ask him about whether the long-release antibiotic shots would be better first.
Welcome to BYC. Could you post a picture of your chicken's legs and feet? Mycoplasma synoviae (MS,) gout, viral arthritis (tenosenovitis,) and E.coli infection can cause swelling in the leg joints. Did your vet tell you want he was treating, and what antibiotic did he prescribe?

Back
Top Bottom