Chicken suddenly being bullied

IgnacioGP

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2020
Luxembourg
I need some advice on how to handle this because I am a bit confused. Let me explain the story as it happened, as I don't know what may have triggered this.

I had two chicken (red sex links), who got along fine. I added another chicken (number three red sex link). That chicken was picked on for a while, but in the end she integrated. Then I hatched four black copper marans, who are now 7 weeks but already living with the flock. They got a peck here and there but it seems ok. Yesterday one of the two original chickens dissapeared for a couple of hours. Normally they don't leave the garden and they come when I whistle, but one was lost. After a couple of hours and putting the others back in the run, the lost chicken appeared. When put back in the run, chicken number three started attacking her. I thought this would go away, but this morning the comb of the abused chicken was bloody and the attacks seem to continue. I have isolated her, but I don't know what to do now. These two chicks had been getting along fine for months and now suddenly one is ready to kill the other one.

Any of you wise chicken handlers has any clue as to what happened and how to solve it?

Thanks

I need some advice on how to handle this because I am a bit confused. Let me explain the story as it happened, as I don't know what may have triggered this.

I had two chicken (red sex links), who got along fine. I added another chicken (number three red sex link). That chicken was picked on for a while, but in the end she integrated. Then I hatched four black copper marans, who are now 7 weeks but already living with the flock. They got a peck here and there but it seems ok. Yesterday one of the two original chickens dissapeared for a couple of hours. Normally they don't leave the garden and they come when I whistle, but one was lost. After a couple of hours and putting the others back in the run, the lost chicken appeared. When put back in the run, chicken number three started attacking her. I thought this would go away, but this morning the comb of the abused chicken was bloody and the attacks seem to continue. I have isolated her, but I don't know what to do now. These two chicks had been getting along fine for months and now suddenly one is ready to kill the other one.

Any of you wise chicken handlers has any clue as to what happened and how to solve it?

Thanks
Once you get the blood to stop flowing on the comb, gently clean the dried blood, apply a disinfectant and MAYBE a drop of Bluekote or whatever the equivalent would be in your area and put the abused bird back with the flock. Then get a wire dog crate and put the bully in it within sight of the rest of the flock. Leave her there for a few days then let her out and see what happens.
That will usually knock the bully down a peg or two and help restore some peace.
How much space is in your coop and run for these 7 birds?

Once you get the blood to stop flowing on the comb, gently clean the dried blood, apply a disinfectant and MAYBE a drop of Bluekote or whatever the equivalent would be in your area and put the abused bird back with the flock. Then get a wire dog crate and put the bully in it within sight of the rest of the flock. Leave her there for a few days then let her out and see what happens.
That will usually knock the bully down a peg or two and help restore some peace.
How much space is in your coop and run for these 7 birds?
The run is 13x6 feet and the coop is 4x6. The four chicks are staying almost always in the coop. The other three get to free roam in the garden about half of the day.

Check out the chicken that left really well as another thing that can initiate bullying is if a chicken is unwell. We often don’t notice sick chickens until they’re very unwell, but fellow chickens pick up on this a lot faster. Hopefully not the case, but a possibility - and she doesn’t have to have anything bad, just under the weather.

Thanks
She might have started a clutch somewhere. When a hen gets broody the others often start to pick on her without a rooster to keep them in check.

If you listen carefully to the noises she makes and watch her behaviour you might notice the signs: clucking sounds every now and then, self-separating from the flock while puffing up and walking somewhat like a sumo catcher.

Last edited:
Check out the chicken that left really well as another thing that can initiate bullying is if a chicken is unwell. We often don’t notice sick chickens until they’re very unwell, but fellow chickens pick up on this a lot faster. Hopefully not the case, but a possibility - and she doesn’t have to have anything bad, just under the weather.
Upon closer inspection there are some white spots in the earlobe of the abused chicken. Does this seem like something might be wrong?
B520FAB5-2E93-450F-A5F5-FE2975064A6B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom