Chicken suddenly not eating

Ray987

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2024
Hello everyone
This morning I woke up let the chickens out to the run and one of them just didn't start eating, her crop is empty and she wouldn't eat anything I offer (offered grains, vegetables) I had a Chicken do the exact same 2 months ago and someone her suggested worming the whole flock which I did, the chicken recovered slowly and started eating again but now another one doing the same, I don't think it's worms and there are no symptoms at all just not eating

Can you give some background info on her with her history? Age, laying eggs, any diseases in the flock, new additions recently? Have you tried to tempt her with a little scrambled egg or canned/dry cat food, just to see if she is picky or being bullied. I would try to see her poops, and take some pictures. Confining to a crate or pen today would help. Look her vent area over, look for mites or lice on her body, look for weight loss, evidence of a molt or feather loss, or any enlargement of her lower belly.

Age is around 16-18 months
Laying eggs، there's new additions (3 chicks 2 month old and their mom she was originally from the flock) I'm certain new addition are clean
No mites or lice of feather loss
I'll try to check her poop

At her age she might be approaching a molt. If you have not wormed your flock recently I would consider worming them with Valbazen suspension 0.08 ml per pound given once orally and repeated in 10 days. Or use Safeguard liquid goat wormer 0.23 ml per pound orally once and again in ten days. SafeGuard can also be given for 5 consecutive days to get all worms except tapeworms. I would do that for the sick hen. Shake either wormer well before drawing up the dose with a syringe. If your hen has runny poops or any with blood and seems hunched and lethargic, I would consider treating for possible coccidiosis with Corid.

Back
Top Bottom