Chicken swallowed own beak

Update: our beak swallower seems well this morning. No observable swelling. She’s eating and drinking. She’s also not standing down to the ones she squabbled with yesterday. Made her point by roosting up top. Looks them in the eye and pecks back. Greeeeat. Why can’t she just take what must be a sore jaw and be done with it lol. No fights so far though. Her name is Fran but I am thinking of changing it to Ronda Rousey.

Update: our beak swallower seems well this morning. No observable swelling. She’s eating and drinking. She’s also not standing down to the ones she squabbled with yesterday. Made her point by roosting up top. Looks them in the eye and pecks back. Greeeeat. Why can’t she just take what must be a sore jaw and be done with it lol. No fights so far though. Her name is Fran but I am thinking of changing it to Ronda Rousey.
They are still side-eyeing each other. The ones with attitudes towards each other are all Jersey Giants. My wife just said they act more like Jersey Shore hahahahahahah!

A bird's beak is made of similar material to fingernails. Fingernails occasionally get enough pressure put on them that they will bend clear backwards. I presume a similar event could happen to the chicken's bill. Not common, though, I'm sure.

A bird's beak is made of similar material to fingernails. Fingernails occasionally get enough pressure put on them that they will bend clear backwards. I presume a similar event could happen to the chicken's bill. Not common, though, I'm sure.
I think the jaw ligaments stretched just enough for the lower beak to move out of the way and the top beak to go down. When I pulled it out there was no bending of the beak, just some laxity in the jaw (barely enough). One in a million freak occurace. This happened back in February and she has been 100% fine ever since. Like nothing ever happened after I pulled the beak out. Lol. You can’t even make this stuff up!! Have a great day :).

Back
Top Bottom