1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Swap Help

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by Ilovemyladies!, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    I'm going to a chicken swap next weekend and this will be my first swap ever. I need some pointers on what to look for in hens, how to sell roosters, and not take home any diseases. Any help would be great [​IMG]

-Shannon [​IMG]

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Be sure to take spare cages for chickens you buy. Roosters are selling fairly cheap, but if you have big fat ones people like them for eating. Last sale I sold all I took for $5. Each. I just needed them gone. This time I had younger birds and no one even wanted a price. You want hens that are young, if their feathers are worn off their backs, chances are the people are getting rid of older layers to get new ones. Look for clear eyes, no sneezing or nasal discharge. Quarantine your new birds for a month. Also quarantine any birds you take to the sale but bring back home. Have fun!

3. Ilovemyladies!

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    I have two Dominique Roo's that are getting big and fat. How much could I sell them for? They are around 23 weeks old. And they are both crowing.

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I don't know what prices are like in your area, but they are mostly low here. You could start at $10. and see if you get a taker. You can always lower your price later in the sale.

5. Ilovemyladies!

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    I will look around at the other rooster's prices their and try to go lower than theirs.

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Price depends on whether or not you mind selling them knowingly for food. I start my roos at $10 and if someone is looking for a flock roo or breeder, I will sell him for $5.

Hot2Pot gave great advice, I will add to it a little. I also pick the bird up and check for a sharp keel bone (the center bone in the chest) because the keel can be felt and should have good mass on either side at a minimum, a sharp keel indicates the bird is too thin and could be caused by worms or illness. Then I look at the bird's vent area to determine how dirty their bottom is and get an idea of how their poo is, I also look for parasites by separating the feathers near the vent, base of tail, back and neck area so I can see if there are any creepy crawlies on the bird. Carry a bottle of purex hand sanitizer with you and clean your hands between vendors. And do not forget to quarantine anything that comes back home, new or one you did not sell.

Good luck and have fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by