CHICKEN SWAPS OF NH SWAP LISTINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just saw a post on FB that someone has been contacted and has to slaughter her birds? Crud, I bought three young chickens at the first Milford Swap, do I have anything to worry about? They all seem healthy. They are all just backyard pets. I would hate to have to kill my 6 birds including my tom turkey :(

So I just saw a post on FB that someone has been contacted and has to slaughter her birds? Crud, I bought three young chickens at the first Milford Swap, do I have anything to worry about? They all seem healthy. They are all just backyard pets. I would hate to have to kill my 6 birds including my tom turkey :(

I emailed the state to ask a few questions. They said the diseases they are tracking are MG and MS, Cindy mentioned nothing about infectious coryza but that's neither here nor there. She said that if you test positive for MG or MS, your flock would be quarantined to your property for the life of your birds and any birds you bring in will automatically be considered infected & would also be subject to quarantine. So they will not force you to cull the birds, but you will also never be able to let any of them leave your property. So it is the flock owner's choice to cull the birds, but sometimes it probably seems like there is no alternative, if you want to continue selling poultry in the future.

Are they also including NPIP tested flocks.
Bob- If I understand your question correctly-ms and mg are not part of a standard npip test.

My suggestion to you would be to contact the Maine department of agriculture as well as the department of agriculture from surrounding states.
People who sell poultry are in a key position to either help contain this problem or through inactivity to allow it to spread faster. I have chosen to be proactive to protect as many flocks as possible. I would love to see everyone who sells poultry take the same position as I have.

Bio security and quarantine are so important right now. Anything that anybody can do to help would be appreciated. Ask the Maine department of agriculture if they have bio security pamphlets you can hand out. NH is going to provide me with some to help educate the public.I would direct any other questions to your department of agriculture.

Speaking as someone with the inside story the woman in question was told to cull and she did not cull them all. Her flock is supposed to be closed but sh IS still selling.

NPIP only covers Typhoid and Pollorum. It does not cover anything else so while your flock is NPIP that does not mean you don't have other things to communicate.

Speaking as someone with the inside story the woman in question was told to cull and she did not cull them all. Her flock is supposed to be closed but she IS still selling.

NPIP only covers Typhoid and Pollorum. It does not cover anything else so while your flock is NPIP that does not mean you don't have other things to communicate.

I understand what NPIP testing covers, but I was interested in what the state of NH has considered if all flocks including NPIP tested birds are to be scrutinized for mg & ms.

I also have been told that the person involved is in NH. Perhaps people should be made aware of who they are buying from.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom