Chicken sweater

MelissaR83

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2018
Massachusetts
I have a 9 week old chick that was picked at because she got stuck in a netting...feathers on wing 1 layer left. Looks like her back is bald under her wing. Not sure what to do about winter. Blood has scabbed over and I'm thinking of trying her out there again. I thought it was crazy but I saw chicken sweaters and am wondering if that will keep her warm enough for winter. I'm afraid she'll freeze to death without her feathers there.

Can you post photos of her?

You will need to go ahead and start acclimating her to you temperatures if you brought her inside. Cage her near the others to re-introduce her.
Depending on your weather and how bare she is (where are you located?), she may do just fine roosting with the others as long as she is protected from wind and the elements.

I thought it was crazy but I saw chicken sweaters and am wondering if that will keep her warm enough for winter.
It is crazy...don't do it.
Will actually prevent them from being able to regulate their temperature and dust bathe,

Ditto on the pics of her.... and....
Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-10-29_7-17-26.png

Normally i'm against sweaters but iv'e had to rethink my position due to one apparently very cold sensitive naked hen. It is warm enough here not to need a sweater but nobody has told her that. Anyway if you do decide to try it do it put one on at nightime when she isn't doing anything else and take it off in the morning so she can be a chicken in the nude. A bird her size you could probably snip the top out of a stocking cap and make a plenty good sweater.:)

She has a pretty bare back - maybe a chicken saddle/apron would work to help keep her warm?
Google "chicken saddle" and you can see pictures of them. I believe there are directions on how to make them also.

No to the sweater. Your bird looks unwell. I would pen it separately but within sight of the flock. It needs individual care. Is it the only young one? It's a bit young to be running free with the big birds without supervision. She's probably sore, and uncomfortable and needs some TLC.

Back
Top Bottom