Chicken Tender Feeder?

I am about to order one of these. What was the "training" process like? Did your birds figure it out quickly?

First of all,
welcome-byc.gif
I can't speak to the training process on this particular feeder because I don't have one, but I do have a couple treadle feeders that work similarly. For treadle feeders the learning process usually takes about one to three weeks; faster if they are confined to a run and slower if they free range. If you decide to get one, please come back and tell us how it worked out for you.

I am about to order one of these. What was the "training" process like? Did your birds figure it out quickly?

If you follow the instructions, they "should" get the concept. Basically, you leave it open for a week to get them used to the new feeeder. Then close it down a bit so that they have to step on the treadle and get used to the movement for another week. Then close it.

Unfortunately, my alpha hen won't go near anything that moves. Not a hanging cabbage. Not a swinging treat ball. NOTHING. So she deemed this as scary and would not go near it. I thought she'd catch on that it was safe by watching the others so I let her struggle with it for 5 days till I realized she was not eating at all. It forced her into a very hard and very ugly molt and I just felt awful for that.

So I returned my unit. But I think I'm in the minority there. I do think most hens get the concept and owners love these things. I'm bummed that they didn't get it. But my 6 hens are pets w/ names and I love them dearly and I won't force them to do what they don't want to do. So I bought a bunch of solar nite eyes and put those around and have NO issues w/ things eating their feed at night. Nothing gets it during the day. The hens protect their food like gold.

Just wanted to report that we did get one these feeders. It is a great product. I had to accelerate their training, due to a trip I had to take, but they figured itout very quickly. They completed the process in about 8 days. We waste no feed now, and even better - the ladies are practically on autopilot. We bought the 35# version and it seems perfect for our 8 hens. Highly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom