Chicken tender introduction..

Hello, chicken tenders! I wanted to introduce myself and my flock 🥴

I grew up on a farm in Tennessee, and we raised 4-H chickens along with horses, calves, and cats/dogs. So I’m not necessarily “new” to chickens, butthis is my first flock as an adult.

My husband gave me the okay to buy some Easter Egger pullets from our local Tractor Supply. They didn’t have them in stock, so we had to have 10 shipped to us. Those babies are now 21 weeks old(still no eggs)! Chicken math got me, and now thanks to trades/impulse buys, we are sitting happily at 7 21 week old EE hens, 1 9.5 week old White Leghorn pullet, 2 9.5 week old Blue Australorp pullets, 2 5.5 week old Black(copper) Marans, and 2 5.5 week old Ayam Cemanis.

I love to go outside and just observe the chickens! My dogs really like it, too. Overall, I’m just really glad to have found this resource and to know that I’m not alone in my chicken obsession!View attachment 2345300View attachment 2345302View attachment 2345303View attachment 2345304View attachment 2345305View attachment 2345306View attachment 2345308
Those beautiful brown eyes!:love

Thanks!
I believe JUST the coop is around 35 square feet. I’d have to measure to be sure.

We have a 55 square foot run on one side and just added a 80ish square foot run on the other.

I was told the coop was big enough for up to 15 chickens, but we will likely be getting rid of some of the newer babies since they might be cockerels. Just winging it and closely monitoring for now though.
I wouldn't keep more than 9 or 10 birds in that size coop. They need space or you will end up with behavioral issues.

I wouldn't keep more than 9 or 10 birds in that size coop. They need space or you will end up with behavioral issues.
Thanks for the heads up! I’ve been keeping any eye out because I thought it seemed tight, but the plans we used said up to 15 birds.

I know we’re at 14 right now, but only 10 are in the coop(the other 4 are in the brooder still). As long as there are no issues, we will most likely only keep 10-11 total. If we start seeing behavior problems, I’m prepared to lessen the flock as needed to take care of our girls ❤️

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom