Chicken that has a cloudy eye!

rdcowman

Songster
Oct 28, 2016
Iowa
Hi everybody! I have a chicken that has a cloudy eye! She follows the chickens around, she eats and drinks. I googled it and a website said it could be a cataract or something. I'm worried about her!

What do you think it is??

Hi everybody! I have a chicken that has a cloudy eye! She follows the chickens around, she eats and drinks. I googled it and a website said it could be a cataract or something. I'm worried about her!

What do you think it is??

A photo would be helpful, if you can post one. Does she show any sensitivity in the eye, and is it new or has it been like that for a while?

There are many possible causes - I've seen a number of cloudy eyes, ranging from those that resulted from injury to congenital issues. If she gets around and is eating and drinking normally, she sounds like she's adjusted well to it.

I had a pullet that my kids named Dopey who had bad cataracts in both eyes. She could see well enough to get around but her problem caused the other birds to attack her. If she's doing alright, you might watch to be sure the others don't hurt her as disabled birds tend to be targeted by bully birds.

A photo would be helpful, if you can post one. Does she show any sensitivity in the eye, and is it new or has it been like that for a while?

There are many possible causes - I've seen a number of cloudy eyes, ranging from those that resulted from injury to congenital issues. If she gets around and is eating and drinking normally, she sounds like she's adjusted well to it.

This is nutmeg! You can see the cloudyness in her eye! It's her right eye! When i went up to her, i took my fingers and was flashing them by each eye and she reacted to the left eye but not the right! She is an Ameraucana or an Easter egger! I do not know how long it has been there! i got her when she was 1 1/2 yrs old. It could have been there when i got her, i just never noticed it.

Last edited:
Hi i have a 3 week old chick with one closed, swollen eyelid. The eye is cloudy, with very minimal white discharge. No lesions around the eye or beak. She is eating, drinking and moving ok. I have separated her from the other chicks. She is a sussex buff. Does anyone have ideas of what it could be? I noticed it 3 days ago. Thought it might be eye worm, but can see no white worm in eyelids

Hi i have a 3 week old chick with one closed, swollen eyelid. The eye is cloudy, with very minimal white discharge. No lesions around the eye or beak. She is eating, drinking and moving ok. I have separated her from the other chicks. She is a sussex buff. Does anyone have ideas of what it could be? I noticed it 3 days ago. Thought it might be eye worm, but can see no white worm in eyelids

Is her eye sensitive, or is she scratching at it? She could have some kind of injury, like a corneal abrasion, from being pecked, scratching it, or getting debris in it. You could try an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin or Vetericyn Ophthalmic Gel and see if it responds. I recently had a rabbit kit with a corneal abrasion (cloudy eye and white discharge) from hay debris and she kept scratching at it, so the eyelid was pretty swollen - Terramycin treatment showed results quickly.

Hope her eye is better soon!

Back
Top Bottom