Chicken that won't go in the coop at night.

colette04

Chirping
Jul 25, 2020
Southern New Jersey
Every now and then one chicken will decide she is not going in the coop at dusk. I have 10 hens. I don't believe its bullying. I do believe they get spooked sometimes and that small window of dusk till dark and not getting in on time leaves them lost somehow. I had a tarp near the coop that I would put up to stop the wind that I used with S hooks on the coop wire. It blows and scares them sometimes, most times. They usually go hide in a tree or bush till the next day. Its happened 3 times and they are 8 months old and its different ones. Maybe they want to stay in the wild and party sometimes. I just worry about predators, but if they dogo in the woods and its dark, Im not going hunting.

At 8 months and three different ones I don't think it is bullying either. Some photos of your set-up might help. Maybe showing how that tarp is attached so we can see what is going on with it, an outside shot to show your overall set-up, maybe something to show how the roosts are set up, and something to show windows. It's hard to know what is going on over the internet but you never know what might be a good clue.

My first thought was that it may get too dark in the coop for a latecomer to be able see how to go inside but with it being three different ones and only three times I'm not sure. That just doesn't sound right but you might try putting a temporary light in there just before bedtime. Cutting a window for more light might be a good idea.

But if that were correct I'd expect the chicken to try to bed down next to the coop, not run off to the woods. It does sound like something is scaring them. I have not seen anything like this.

Hi there! I have a photo of the coop and run in my gallery. The tarp isnt in the coop but on the side of the run to block wind. Its not a permanent fixture and most days its down. Theres a big window at the back of the coop, opposite the door and the perch is the length of the coop which is 4 x8. I peek in to see how they behave in there. Plenty of room on the perch for 10 hens. Thank you for your response :)

Back
Top Bottom