Chicken throwing up? help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by missychicky, Jul 28, 2011.

1. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    I just watched my BA austro "throw up" what looked like bubbly spit and whole sunflower seeds. Its was like watching chickens drink in reverse. I also notice her crop is taut and full of what feels like mayby water? Please help i don't know what to do.

2. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    My chickens throw up every now and then. I wouldn't worry if it doesn't throw up anymore.
    If she continues to vomit I would search sour crop on here. I have had a few chickens get it...it's not fun. Keep us posted:)

3. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    Ok, how long do I have to watch her to make sure she won't throw up again? I recently lost a chicken to something similar so i don't want to take any chances.

4. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Usually they throw up after they eat. So I would feed her and wait a few seconds (usually they vomit it up pretty quick) and see what happens. I have cured one chicken from sour crop and one has died of it...I think the hen that died was pretty old on top of having sour crop.

I wouldn't worry too much. I have seen quite a few times my chickens throw up. Every time it catches me off guard because I don't expect it! It's usuall when they drink a lot or when you pick them up after they drink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by