chicken throws up and has diarrhea

bardways

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
My daughter has a two year old barred rock that recently showed signs of illness. The first indication of illness was when a yellow liquid ejected out of her mouth when my daughter picked her up. She threw up a couple more times and we noticed that she had really bad diarrhea, as in she was projectile pooping. We isolated the chicken and gave her garlic water and bread soaked in yogurt as was recommended by a friend. She seemed to perk up a bit but continued having diarrhea and would throw up if her neck was rubbed. To the great sadness of my daughter, the chicken died last night.

We are realizing that we need to become more informed about the welfare of our girls and so we are now looking for information about 1) what might have been wrong with this chicken and 2) what steps should be taken in the future if a chicken exhibits signs of illness.

Thank you for any and all input on this matter.

I don't think a chicken actually "throws up." However they can have prblems in their crop that could cause food or fluids to be expelled out. Perhaps she had some sort of infection in her crop or a blockage.

Throwing up to me would also suggest a crop problem. Was it large an impacted some how? If so, food may not be able to get though her system and may have resulted in the thin poo.

Back
Top Bottom